Monday, May 11, 2015

Wehr on Flipboard

As a wine educator, I like to scour the web and save articles that might be useful in presenting concepts to the class. But, where to save them? In searching for suitable programs and methods of saving, cataloging and retrieving these saved articles, I have found two programs of particular usefulness. However, for different reasons.

The online program, Pocket (https://getpocket.com) is available on many platforms that I use: desktop, iPad, Android (Samsung phones). And they automatically synchronize on the web. Plus there is a widget that can be installed on any desktop browser. So, when I run into an article I like, I just click the widget button in the menu bar and, presto, it's added to Pocket. Then it allows me to search for articles using keywords and I can print off a copy to present to the class. Very handy and simple!

Another exciting addition is the "online magazine" program, Flipboard (https://flipboard.com/). Again, with little effort, using the online widgets or apps, an article can be "flipped" into your magazine. The cool thing is that this 'magazine' is now available to others to view, read, like and follow using the app.

Flipboard presents the article as the lead page of a magazine article - a lead photo and brief intro paragraph describing the article. The reader "flips" thru the pages of the magazine until he/she finds an interesting article, clicks, and the full article pops open.

There's a lot more involved - you can have multiple magazines for different interests, and you can follow other magazines from experts in the fields that interest you, etc. And vice-versa, others can follow your magazines. You can even "flip" cool articles from others to yours.

Download the app on your phone and check out "Wehr Wine" at https://flipboard.com/@mtwehr/wehr-wine-n5tonnhry Follow me and I'll follow you.

No comments:

Post a Comment